Vulnerability

People in recovery often refer to 'making themselves vulnerable' in connection with speaking (either at a meeting or one to one). I understand the feeling of trepidation before speaking, but it's as well to dispel associated false notions.

I try and recall the following.
  • I am spirit.
  • I am temporarily housed in a human form.
  • I cannot be harmed.
  • There is no sense in which I am vulnerable, therefore.
  • Body, reputation, circumstances, finances, and plans are inherently vulnerable.
  • But they are not who I am.
Coming down from the metaphysical level to the practical level, there is nothing wrong with prudence and good custodianship in relation to body, reputation, circumstances, finances, and plans. However, to promote wellbeing, appropriate honesty does not entail threat:
  • Sincere and good-natured candour in an appropriate setting has only exceptionally caused me detriment. In fact, I can think of only a couple of instances where this has happened, and a swift phone call to an appropriate person in both cases resolved the ensuing upset.
  • Inauthenticity, artfulness, insincerity, secretiveness, and furtiveness are not effective defences against ridicule, judgement, and rejection (which are usually the objects of the fear).
  • If I want to reduce ridicule, judgement, and rejection in my life, openness and transparency are actually my best bet.
In other words, the notion that candour increases vulnerability is an ego defence, and your ego is not your amigo. Do not stand for it!