Rock-bottom

Every alcoholic needs to hit rock-bottom to generate the energy to propel them through the Twelve Steps, but a rock-bottom is not a confluence of unpleasant circumstances or a near-death experience. A rock-bottom is the realisation that, left to my own devices, I will drink, and if I drink, I might never stop; that I have a condition that is progressive and potentially fatal; and that I'm doomed unless a fundamental change occurs within me, a change I cannot bring about myself.

This can be brought about by terrible events or an internal collapse, but some people die of alcoholism without having this rock-bottom experience, and some people have this rock-bottom experience without having to lose everything. In other words, the rock-bottom is a set of insights, which can be fostered by attending AA for a while, and an alcoholic need not wait helplessly until the rock-bottom occurs spontaneously as the result of catastrophic personal loss.