Permitting resentment

I haven't had a drink for a long time, but self is still intact. It can be taken offline and mothballed, and I experience extensive freedom from its malign influence, but it's amazing how readily it cranks back into service ... when I let it. Page 66 of the Big Book contains a surprising line: it suggests we 'permit' resentment. When I am resentful, the situation is not forcing me to be resentful: I am permitting it! The same goes for fear and other manifestations of self.


I'm currently navigating some projects in the life I have turned over to God in Step Three. They involve complex decisions, logistical considerations, responding to setbacks, effecting changes in course, dealing on occasion with people who aren't always helpful, straightforward, or cooperative, and other challenges.

In practice, these challenges require me, under God's supervision and direction, to assess each situation, identify the alternatives, weigh up the pros and cons of each, and make decisions. Nothing more is required.

But self spots material to feed on. Its output takes the form of frustration, anxiety, obsessive thinking, and other manifestations. What's the solution?

Certainly not analysis. In the pages on the daily programme, pages 84 to 88 of the Big Book, there is no analysis. There's spotting and removal; and the removal takes the form of redirection of the attention back to the task at hand.

So, how do I not permit resentment and other manifestations of self?

Reaffirm that God is in charge, and I'm just the helper, whose job is to ask for directions and follow them, and keep my attention in the Now, which is where God is to be found (page 59). This solution is efficient and sufficient: is simply requires application.