Victimhood

Feeling like a victim feels really rough. So why have I found it so attractive and difficult to shake?

  1. It's black and white. That saves me from processing the complexity of reality.
  2. I'm right and you're wrong. Delicious.
  3. Because I'm aggrieved, I'm absolved of moral responsibility. I can be harsh, shrill, irrational, illogical, condemnatory, punitive, destructive, shaming, caricaturing, impatient, intolerant, pitiless, and unforgiving. I can emotionally leak on anyone; I can emotionally vomit on anyone. I can foster antagonism towards you. I can rally the mob. I can destroy you. But it's OK because you did a bad thing.
  4. The associated anger masks my own guilt, inadequacy, and fear.
  5. I don't have to examine, challenge, and change my own beliefs, thinking, and behaviour.
Sound familiar?