Question: Does it get better?

Answer: Yes, but it's the treatment for alcoholism itself not sobriety itself which brings about long-term relief. Sobriety itself does not solve the underlying problem, which is my maladjustment to life, my self-absorption, my distorted perceptions, and my self-centredness. I needed relief from me.

Step One relieved me of my conflict about whether or not I needed to stay sober

Step Two gave me confidence about the future

Step Three relieved me of the need to fret about my life

Step Four taught me how to drop my condemnation of others and my demands and how to forgive everyone for everything

Step Five reduced my sense of separation from others and deflated my perception of my problem

Step Six relieved me of my of conflict about what need to change: I became single-minded

Step Seven relieved me of the burden of my character defects: the Higher Power would help me

Step Eight brought clarity about what was my responsibility and what was others'

Step Nine resolved all tensions in all relationships and all regret about the past

Step Ten taught me to be at peace in the moment, no matter what

Step Eleven gave me a structure for the day and therefore my life

Step Twelve gave me a purpose not my own ... and far greater than my own.