The difference between 'in' and 'near'

After drinking again, the biggest problem in my life seemed handling the immediate consequences of my drinking

I was told: Do not be distracted

The real problem was having a fatal, progressive, incurable condition (alcoholism) and not yet being in a structured programme of recovery

We are small

Alcoholism is bigger

Recovery is even bigger

I came into the recovery world in January 1993 before finally getting sober in July 1993

I carried on drinking periodically before I finally got sober

This was not relapsing: it was persisting with active alcoholism in full sight of recovery

There are people who can stay clean with a combination of willpower, common sense, encouragement, homespun wisdom, practical trouble-shooting, and other ordinary tools

I could not: those tools are necessary but not sufficient

Every few days or weeks I would drink

I was in recovery world but I was not in recovery: I was 'near it', and 'near it' does not cut it

Joining recovery required a total surrender of my beliefs, thinking, and behaviour to the programme and especially the guidance of a sponsor

I had to get a sponsor and start the Steps on day one in order to halt the drinking cycle

Completing the Steps sealed the deal

But to do that I needed to stop starting again

And to do that I needed to take my rat-and-lizard brain out of the picture by surrendering to the programme of structured daily action

This worked and has kept working for decades

A final note:

I wanted to die a lot when I was drinking and in early recovery

Checking out seemed attractive

But that would have been a permanent solution to a temporary problem