How to deal with Steps Two and Three if you don't believe in God and had a bad religious experience in your childhood: some ideas

Religion never did anything to me

But people did

Religion is abstract

But religious people, like people, can be jerks: the ideas can be pernicious, too, but the ideas are dead in the water without the people wielding them, so we're back to the people

For now, direct the anger away from the ideas towards the people

I'll come back to that later

Simply reject any ideas that do not help, and keep them off the blank sheet of paper we're about to use

So:

Step One says: I do not, on my own, have the power to stay away from the first drink

My experience of going to meetings told me: other people, like me, did not have that power, but they have acquired that power

Quite literally, they have a acquired greater power than what they could muster on their own, or, if you will, a power greater than themselves

Now, think of that power as a commodity, like groceries

Sure, if there are groceries, there must be a farm and a supply chain or distribution channel

But what matters is the groceries and where to buy them

The way I acquired that power myself was to surrender to a practical programme of action to change my beliefs, thinking, and behaviour

That gave me the power (and direction) to stay sober and thrive

Steps Two and Three in a nutshell:

I did not have power
Others had acquired it
When I did what they did
I got what they got: power

It did not matter what mechanism was behind this: I could figure that out over time if I cared to, or I could let it be

The point is: I did not need to figure it out before I grabbed hold of the programme

You don't need to understand aerodynamics to board a plane

You just need a ticket

And the ticket is the willingness to take action

Three more notes:

(1) Prayer and meditation

Think of prayer as accessing a part of your mind you cannot access through ordinary thought

Think of it as reaching (using words) past the rat-and-lizard brain to a higher part of you, a higher part which is connected to everyone else's higher selves and maybe to other forces in the universe

The part that enjoys music and appreciates nature and looks after kittens and wants to help people in trouble

That part

You don't have to believe in the j-man or in any traditional notions of religion to pray

Prayer is just words of appreciation, affirmation, and request

Think of meditation as a way of sinking past the crappy surface of flotsam and jetsam frantic insta-face-tik-twitter to the peaceful ocean waters below

(2) Who owns the higher power?

No one

Just because some class-A d-bags claim to speak for the higher power does not mean they do

Push past them

They do not have VIP access

You have VIP access whenever you want it

It's humility that brings VIP access to the higher power, not certainty

(3) What about the jerks?

Step Four provides a structured process for getting over the fact there were and are world-class jerks in the world

Detachment and peace are possible, in time

For now, park the jerks

They're not worth stumbling over on your way to recovery