Feeling guilty after a slip

What Step One means to me is that, without a complete change in what I believe, how I think, and how I act, I will drink again, and, if I drink, I may never stop

Powerlessness means that I'm trapped in a fatal progression, like a runaway train

Guilt implies responsibility, and responsibility implies agency: the ability to determine my own actions

Powerlessness implies the opposite: the inability to determine my own actions

With alcoholism, although I'm powerless, I'm not helpless

I can't 'not drink' but I can indeed take actions that give me the power not to drink

That's like not being able to lift up a concrete block but being able to get into a crane to lift up the concrete block

In this analogy, getting into the crane means adopting a structured programme of action that literally changes how my mind works

Meetings are the departure lounge, not the trip

I have to take the trip to get well

So, it's more reasonable, after a slip, to recognise powerlessness: given my state of consciousness at the time, I had no choice but to drink

That recognition forms the basis for real progress, namely asking: What do I have to do to change my state of consciousness so that staying sober rather than drinking becomes automatic?