'All changes made ...'

All changes made over the years in the Big Book (A.A. members’ fond nickname for this volume) have had the same purpose: to represent the current membership of Alcoholics Anonymous more accurately, and thereby to reach more alcoholics. If you have a drinking problem, we hope that you may pause in reading one of the forty-two personal stories and think: “Yes, that happened to me”; or, more important, “Yes, I’ve felt like that”; or, most important, “Yes, I believe this program can work for me too.”

- The purpose of the stories is to reach people who are not yet 'sold' on AA: either those outside AA who have yet to attend meetings or join or those inside AA who have yet to conclude they belong or engage actively in the programme

- The way we reach people is by telling our stories

- The people we're aiming at are people with a drinking problem

- Groups I have attended say, in their script, that anyone with a drinking problem is welcome to attend

- That's because we're trying to help people attending the meeting decide whether or not they belong

- They do that by listening to our stories, the way readers read the stories, and seeing if they identify

- Forty-two stories is a lot: it can take a lot of exposure to AA stories before a person identifies

- Maybe a person needs to hear 42 pitches at meetings before they identify ('Pause in reading **one** ...')

- Maybe 42 meetings in 42 days might be a good new slogan

- The identification works from the outside in: what happened to me through to what I felt

- The inference is then drawn: if this worked for you, this will work for me

- This forms the basis of Step Two: if you can recover, so can I, because the problem you had is the problem I've got