Step Four: where does the inventory actually start?

Step Four is a personal moral inventory, in short an inventory of where my beliefs, thinking, and behaviour are wrong.  

However, the first few exercises involve examining resentment: what other people have done and how it has affected me. This has nothing to do with where I am wrong. it is simply recording my emotional upset, the apparent tripwires, and where the arrows are landing. There is then some consideration of the nature of resentment, its futility and fatality, followed by some spiritual exercises (page 67) to eliminate resentment. Then and only then am I in a position to commence the inventory itself, starting with: 'Referring to our list again. Putting out of our minds the wrongs others had done, we resolutely looked for our own mistakes.'  

It is from that point onwards that I am actually writing the inventory: the exercises up to that point are clearing my mind and restoring my spirit, raising me to a higher level from where I can actually perform the inventory in a detached, fact-finding way.

Arguably, the material for Step Five starts on page 67: Step Five is about the exact nature of my wrongs, and nothing in the three columns of the resentment inventory clarifies those.