Can Step Nine be taken quickly?

Yes.

If the Step Eight is fully prepared (what I did wrong, what I should have done instead, who suffered and how), it's simply a matter of willingness.

Distance and other factors confound physical meeting, but today we can meet virtually, more than ever. It's about making direct amends (i.e. not indirectly, through other people, or somehow abstractly). Not every amend can and need be made face to face. Video calls, telephone calls, and written communications are not only second-best alternatives but often preferable, for reasons I will not rehearse here.

Amends conversations are simple affairs: I admit what I did (if they know about it already), I express regret, I ask what I can do to make it right.

All of this can be done in a few days or weeks, depending on the size of the list.

What about people that can't be traced?

Exhausting the tracing options typically takes no more than a few days at most. You can determine in a few days whether the person can be traced. If not, make a substitute amend to the universe (write a letter to the person, read it out to someone, and/or give time or money to a charity or good cause or take other restorative action). Then you're done. Once a year, revisit the list, try once more to trace, and then proceed as above.

What about creditors?

Not everyone can be paid off immediately but all creditors can usually be approached, acknowledging the debt, and coming to the best arrangement.

What about follow-up actions?

Some amends have a long tail: e.g. remembering someone's birthday every year, or spending time every week for a few years working for a charity for free.

'Completing Step Nine' really means getting to a point where you can look everyone in the eye and the universe has nothing on you because you've done your upmost to date to make amends to everyone for everything. You've tried to trace everyone. You've made amends where you can. The follow-up actions are planned. The payment scheme is in place. Sure, there are future actions to be taken, but you're up to date for now.

Don't wait years. Just because some speakers almost boast about how long it took does not mean you can't proceed effectively and efficiently. Dr Bob was done in a day.

If you're struggling because of lack of willingness, there's a Step One problem.

When I recognised that, in a spiritual disordered state, I could drink at any time, and, if I drank, I might never recover, I whisked through dozens of amends in a few days.