'Because this book ...'

 Because this book has become the basic text for our Society and has helped such large numbers of alcoholic men and women to recovery, there exists strong sentiment against any radical changes being made in it. Therefore, the first portion of this volume, describing the A.A. recovery program, has been left largely untouched in the course of revisions made for the second, third, and fourth editions. The section called “The Doctor’s Opinion” has been kept intact, just as it was originally written in 1939 by the late Dr. William D. Silkworth, our Society’s great medical benefactor.

- When I took on board the ideas this book suggests, without argument, then took the actions it suggests, without delay, spiritual weight dropped from me. Not only was I sober, and sustainably so, but I could cope and thrive.

- I don't need to change anything in the Book. There are things I might have said differently, but the people that wrote it are entitled to their own voices and to have their words retained intact. I would not want anyone else to change my words, so I extend that respect to the authors.

- If I want to mentally reword passages so they're simpler in my mind and easier to remember, I can do that.

- If I want to apply the ideas to modern settings, for instance applying 'To Wives' to anyone in a close relationship with an alcoholic, I can do so, without having to change the Book to achieve this. All I need is a little imagination.

- Sometimes people get angry at the content of the Big Book and how it is written. People from other times and other cultures had differing values and experiences. They might dislike the ways of our time and culture. But AA teaches me to take what I can and file the rest away for later consideration. Patience and tolerance with those who are different to me is one of the key messages of AA.