Why meetings matter

"Odysseus was curious as to what the Sirens sang to him, and so, on the advice of Circe, he had all of his sailors plug their ears with beeswax and tie him to the mast. He ordered his men to leave him tied tightly to the mast, no matter how much he might beg. When he heard their beautiful song, he ordered the sailors to untie him but they bound him tighter. When they had passed out of earshot, Odysseus demonstrated with his frowns to be released."

In AA, the Sirens are the voices of the ego. They'll tell me to separate myself from God and set myself up as an alternative power. Eventually I'll drink. The equivalent of plugging my ears with beeswax and having myself tied to the mask is committing to a home group and to attending a certain number of meetings per week. If I do this and prohibit myself from breaching this commitment, I will hear what I need to hear at meetings to keep myself on the straight and narrow. I will become painfully aware of everything else that needs to change and I will change it, to get rid of the painful awareness, if I persist with the meetings, come what may.