Five points

To stay sober, I need to do five things:

(1) Go to lots of meetings

  • This enables me to access a Power Greater Than Myself
  • It gives me lots of information
  • It gives me a way to be useful
  • It gives me a sense of belonging
  • It pulls me up short when I'm drifting

(2) Stay in touch

  • I stay in touch with newer people
  • ... with people of a similar 'vintage'
  • ... with people who are further ahead
  • We tell each other what's going on
  • We listen out for feedback from sponsors / advisers
  • We offer input when it's asked for

(3) Have a sponsor

  • Pick a good one (sober a while, knows the programme, lives well)
  • Tell them the truth
  • Do what they suggest

(4) Get through the first nine Steps

  • Do it quickly and thoroughly
  • Not so quick it's shoddy
  • Not so thorough it takes forever

(5) Have a daily programme

  • Pages 84 to 88 of the Big Book
  • Check out 1 to 4 above
  • Plus: whatever else your sponsor / friends suggest