What happens if the process of going through the Steps has stalled?

If a person loses momentum when proceeding through the Steps (or later on when going through the Traditions and the Concepts), this is because the belief system has fundamentally changed.

What I do shows me what I think is important. If I'm not making progress, I do not see the action as vitally important. I might say I think it's vitally important, but what I do now shows me what I believe now.

When I believe that I suffer from alcoholism and that this means I need an ongoing spiritual experience requiring extensive daily application in order not to succumb, I will take concerted daily action to have and maintain that spiritual experience.

When I do not take the action, it means I don't believe this (any more).

Trying to override this with willpower without addressing the underlying cause never works.

If the process has stalled, it is best to take responsibility for that, admit it, and say affirmatively: 'I have decided I do not need to complete the Steps thoroughly and rapidly as my top priority.' This may not feel like the decision that has been made, but inaction, sputtering, or halfhearted action suggest that this decision has indeed been made. If this be the case, it must be admitted and addressed.

If a person is willing to admit and address this, the only viable solution I am aware of is to immerse oneself in meetings with others who do believe that they are alcoholics and do believe the above propositions. Maybe the person is not an alcoholic after all. But if they are, the course of action set out below can sometimes prompt a deep-lying reaffirmation of the 'ABCs' (page 60, Alcoholics Anonymous):

Our description of the alcoholic, the chapter to the agnostic, and our personal adventures before and after make clear three pertinent ideas:
(a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.
(b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
(c) That God could and would if He were sought.

Implicit in these is the idea not only that action is vitally necessary but also urgent. Something that is not urgent is really not necessary.

PS If you're an addict or an anon, substitute the relevant terminology above.



Here is an exercise I give to sponsees:

For thirty days, go to a meeting of at least one hour every day.

By 9.00 a.m. each day, send me a brief report by WhatsApp message setting out:

Which meeting you went to the day before (country, time, full name of group or meeting).
Important things you learned or were reminded of regarding:
The nature of the problem.
The nature of the solution.

List these points briefly. Be concise. No essays. Use list / note form.

After thirty days we'll review whether there has been a shift.