Stepwork and self-honesty

 The dog ate my homework


Very often, a person will point to a circumstance to explain why daily stepwork has not been performed. The facts may be true, for instance, a person may have a job, other responsibilities, other activities, etc., but the reason why the stepwork was not done, almost without exception, is not the external factor.

When something is important to me, I do get it done. Whether or not I get something done depends on how important I find it. When my mother was in hospital last year, I visited very day. This involved a round-trip of several hours. An already full schedule somehow made space for it. This was because visiting my mother was important to me.

What lies beneath

If I do not move heaven and earth to do my stepwork, it means I do not see its importance.

I know my life depends on a continuing spiritual experience. This means daily action to maintain my spiritual condition. This is as true at 27 years of recovery as it was when I was new. I never ask a sponsee to put in an effort I am not putting in right now.

Lack of action invariably means lack of internal commitment.

Here's a quotation to illustrate what is really going on. It comes from A Course In Miracles and pertains to the execution of the daily exercises the Course suggests.

'... learning will be hampered when you skip a practice period because you are unwilling to devote the time to it that you are asked to give. Do not deceive yourself in this. Unwillingness can be most carefully concealed behind a cloak of situations you cannot control. Learn to distinguish situations that are poorly suited to your practicing from those that you establish to uphold a camouflage for your unwillingness.'

A different way to explain to myself what is going on

I did not schedule any stepwork today.
I did not schedule the stepwork at a time that guaranteed its performance.
I scheduled the stepwork but changed my mind.
Given the choice between stepwork and other tasks, I chose other tasks.

It's OK for this to be true.
We can make progress only if we're honest about why we're not making it.
Unless I identify the real reason why the work is not getting done, I cannot address it.

How to get things done

Schedule stepwork for today.
Schedule the stepwork at a time that guarantees its performance, e.g. first thing in the morning.
If it has to be six a.m., so be it.
If it has to be five a.m., so be it.
If I have to get up earlier, I get up earlier.
If I have to go to bed earlier the night before, I go to bed earlier the night before.
Willingness is about commitment to do something, not wanting to do something.
Follow through.
Do not allow other activities to displace it.
If I can't find half an hour a day (or an hour) to commit to my spiritual life, there is something wrong with my life.