Step 12: Being overwhelmed / getting things done

It's easy to get overwhelmed by one or more material problems.

As a result, one wastes energy on worry, energy that could be diverted into action.

Here's a solution:

  • Under the Concepts, God has final responsibility and ultimate authority (Concept I)
  • I'm just delegated tasks to do (Concept VI)
  • I have authority only over my tasks (Concept III, Concept X)
  • I have responsibility only for my tasks
  • I have no authority over outcomes
  • I have no responsibility for outcomes
  • Therefore: I need not feel guilty because of outcomes
  • God can solve anything (Step Two)
  • No obstacle is final
  • At worst it signals the necessity of a change in direction
  • I trust God
  • God solved my alcoholism
  • God has solved all other problems to date
  • So God will solve this problem too
  • If something can't be 'solved' ...
  • ... it's not a problem: it's a situation
  • Situations are not good or bad: they're simply scenarios to process
  • There is therefore no need for fear

So, that's the theory.
What's the practice?

  • Take my life
  • Divide it into roles
    • E.g.: Husband, homeowner, housekeeper, businessman, lecturer, sponsor, sponsee, AA member, community member ...
  • Divide each role into live 'projects' (= scenarios to process), e.g.
    • Homeowner:
      • Replace gas central heating system
  • With each role, project-manage it:
    • Break it into sub-projects, e.g.
      • Homeowner:
        • Replace gas central heating system:
          • Commission an installer
            • Identify potential suppliers
            • Obtain quotations
            • Review quotations
            • Conclude a contract
          • Commission scaffolding
          • Get planning permission from the local authority
          • Get permission from the freeholder
          • Arrange for time off work
          • Inform other household members
          • Prepare flat for work
    • Triage into:
      • Balls that are in my court
      • Balls that are in other people's courts
    • Balls in my court
      • Take the action
      • Steer (monitor + adjust)
      • Complete
    • Balls in others' courts
      • Put the ball in their court
      • Monitor
      • Follow-up
      • Redirect (in the case of a dead end)
    • When I can't decide
      • Consult those affected
      • Consult experts
      • Consult God
      • Ask for help
      • Pray
      • Meditate
      • Decide

This gives me:
  • A list of things to do (balls that are in my court)
  • A list of balls that are in other people's courts

I schedule the things to do today.
If possible, take actions as soon as possible rather than as late as possible.
If it must be done today, do it today.
If it can be done today, do it today, even if it does not need to be done today.
Get ahead, because you don't know what's coming.
Fill the day reasonably with useful activities.
Then stop, relax, look after yourself, and have fun.
If I'm maximally proactive, I'm literally doing everything I can ...
... so anything I can't do today goes in the God box: God will give me the wherewithal in the due season.

Repeat this planning exercise daily when planning for the day (page 86).
This ensures I can leave my head 'clear and empty', because I'm maxing out on fulfilling my duties.

When I've done my part, I can let go of the results.
Until I know what my part is and have done it, I cannot let go of the results.
If I am still struggling to let go of the results, I have an attachment.
An attachment is a belief that my well-being depends on a material circumstance.
Attachments are mistakes.

A solution to attachment:
Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.

My job is to believe this by applying this solution until I know it is true.

I apply this by applying it practically to the situation:

The physical fabric of my flat can be threatened. But nothing real exists. So the physical fabric of my flat does not exist.
My image of myself can be threatened. But nothing real exists. So my image of myself does not exist.