Paygrades

I need to work at my paygrade, not above, not below.

Not above my paygrade: the ethereal realm

The fate of the universe, the Grand Design, the purpose of life in general, the purpose of my life: these are above my paygrade. If I engage in them in an unstructured, unguided way, I soon find myself out of my depth and drowning in doubt and uncertainty. This is the realm of remorse and morbid reflection.

Not below my paygrade: the material realm

The state of the world, other people, outcomes, the thousand things left undone, everything that could go wrong, the degradation and entropy of all physical matter, physicality and all of its entities and subdivisions, money, property, stuff, prestige, and all other things of the world. This is the realm of worry.

What's my paygrade? The spiritual realm

At this level, I keep my head and heart with God, attending quietly to the tasks of the day, and letting everything go except the hand in God's hand and the hand on the tiller of the day.