Step Six: What is willingness?

If defects are beliefs, thinking, and behaviour that do not work, being willing means being prepared to believe, think, and behave differently (Steps Seven through Twelve).

This means going outside the comfort zone.

This is uncomfortable.

Being willing therefore has two components:

(1) Am I willing to believe, think, and behave differently in every area of my life?

(2) Am I willing to endure the discomfort this will give rise to?

This gives rise to more questions:

(3) Are there any defects I am unwilling to give up? Which ones?

(4) Why? What am I frightened of?

Discuss briefly with friends / a sponsor.

Then ask God for willingness.

The time for analysis is now over.

This moment calls for a stark choice: go backwards towards alcoholic destruction or go forwards towards life and God.

'Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely.' (Page 58, Big Book)