Old ideas and beliefs inventory

"Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely." (Page 58, Big Book)

What are our old ideas?

Scratch the surface of any upset or agitation, and you will find old ideas.

Ask yourself, what old ideas and beliefs does this upset or agitation tell me I must have? What would God have me believe instead? If you're having trouble with the second and third columns, ask someone with more experience in the programme. The old ideas and beliefs usually come from childhood. Try to cast your mind back to then. What does it tell you?

Upset or agitation
Old idea or belief
New idea or belief
Example: The world is going to the dogs
Example: Every day everything gets a little bit worse

People can't be trusted

People are stupid

People are evil

I can do nothing about anything

There is no point in trying

I need the world to be OK for me to be OK
Example: The universe and what lies beyond are in God's hands

God is in everything

God is in everyone

I am in God's hands

God will guide me

People are good: when they don't act right, they like me, are asleep

People are smart and resourceful

There are good people everywhere

There is love everywhere

God is everywhere

God is present in every situation

God is constantly active

I may have a role in the growing good of the world

I can ask God
Example: The flat needs to be refurbished and is a mess
Example: My physical surroundings need to be in perfect order, perfectly functioning, clean, cleared, and clutter-free for me to be OK

If there is something wrong, it's my fault

If it's it not my fault, it's your fault

I cannot rest until everything is perfect
Example: My purpose in life is to wake up and help others to wake up

My physical environment is there to support that: it is not the purpose in itself

I ask God's guidance in taking reasonable care of my surroundings

My physical environment does not need to be perfect

I am free unless obliged right now

I need not monitor, scan, and assess constantly

I trust God to show His will

I don't need to figure out God's will

God's will is the next right action

Whenever you spot an upset or agitation, ask what old beliefs are invoked, and affirm the new beliefs.

Here is the table to fill out:
Upset or agitation
Old idea or belief
New idea or belief




One option: do this for 14 days and boil down to the best 14 new ideas / beliefs to live by.