Sharing the message with anyone who cares to listen

I’ve learned a lot in AA. I will share that with anyone who is desperate enough to do the work required, rapidly, to have a spiritual awakening, and would like to know how the Big Book might help them if they apply its contents. I will share with people from any fellowship. How is that possible? I’m sharing what I have. I can’t share what I don’t have but I must share what I do have. I must not withhold what I have on the grounds of false humility or fear. If my time is literally maxed out, I will redirect the person to the many dozens of people I know who also offer what I offer.

What if someone asks a question I can’t answer because it’s not part of my experience? I tell them they’ll have to ask someone who does have relevant experience. If they need to run through Step One in part or in full with someone who shares the exact same addiction or problem, great! If they need to discuss bottom lines and top lines with someone from a different fellowship, great! The more the merrier. This is a team effort. If they want to talk to loads of old-timers, too, great! They take themselves through the Steps; I’m just a conveyer of information and a provider of a framework. They are responsible—as was I—for building the team of black-belt, gold-star, God-dependent helpers. But I can still help them understand the fundamental principles of addiction described in the Big Book and the fundamental principles of the AA programme, which, between Steps Two and Eleven, are largely identical from fellowship to fellowship.

If they are super new and have no Twelve Step fellowship experience, then they’re probably best off with someone with really similar problems, to establish the bond of identification. But lots of requests in Twelve Step world come to AA Big Bookers from people in other fellowships who have already done the Steps and are looking for extra experience about the Big Book because it’s either totally lacking locally or there simply aren’t enough sponsors to go round locally, so they look elsewhere. In an ideal world, all requests, say, from Al-Anons could be satisfied by Al-Anons. But we’re not in an ideal world. Until all of the other fellowships are groaning with people who understand the Big Book and its contents, we’re going to have to help out, and that, too, is a team effort: not just for people with over twenty years, but for all of us.

In all this endeavour, I remember I’m just there to share my experience and provide guidance on how to replicate the result that was achieved in me: a spiritual awakening. I’m not the be-all-and-end-all to anyone; I’m not a substitute for either God or the full forces of a Twelve-Step fellowship. I don’t have to wait to be an expert. I don’t have to know all the answers. I just need to share what I’ve been given. Here it is: make of it what you will.

Sometimes people withhold because they lack confidence, don’t know all the answers, or haven’t got it all worked out. This is hubristic and predicated on the idea that a sponsor (i.e. the sharing guide) should have self-confidence, should know all the answers, and should have it all worked out. Wrong. We have God-confidence and allow God to work through us; we encourage the other person to develop a relationship with God, too. We share answers that we do have; if we don’t have an answer, we ask around or redirect the individual to someone who does have the answer. And we don’t work it out: we might start out with a plan, but God guides me differently with every person, and how I guide people changes over time as I learn what works and what doesn’t work. Trying to figure it out rather than jumping in, learning on the job, and trusting God is the way I keep God out of it. I need to keep God totally in the mix.

We learn by doing. We don’t figure it out, get perfect, and then start doing.

On this topic, I heard the following, which may be of interest.

Rabbi Yehoshua Gordon, audio/video class on the 4th portion of the Torah portion Bamidbar.

https://www.chabad.org/multimedia/rabbigordon_cdo/aid/1208729/jewish/Rabbi-Gordon-Bamidbar-4th-Portion.htm

“I want to just point out something here that I think is of critical importance. Let us not think for a minute that we have to go to a great yeshiva and be ordained as a rabbi and become a great Torah scholar and learn the whole Talmud backwards and forwards and memorise it and THEN we could become someone’s teacher. No. We could study Torah right here, whether we’re learning this live right here, or we’re seeing it on the Internet, and then we can take the subject matter of what we learn, a little later today, and share it with someone, and then we have become that person’s teacher. There is so much potential that we have, so that, if you ever wake up in the morning and you say, ‘oh another day, I don’t know, my life has no meaning!’ go encounter someone, find someone, share the last Torah thought you studied with them: you become their teacher; you can literally transform their lives, and one does not have to be a great scholar in order to accomplish that.

And I’ll quote the Rebbe, who was my teacher; the Rebbe said: When a person is introduced to a new study, for example, somebody comes and teaches him a brilliant new teaching; ‘What’s the new teaching?’, he says, ‘You know what, he says, you know what, there’s an alef, there’s a bet, there’s a gimel, there’s a dalet; now repeat after me: alef, bet, gimel, dalet. OK, we’ll continue tomorrow.’ Before tomorrow comes, when he meets someone, he has to say, ‘You know what, I found out: alef, bet, gimel, dalet!’ ‘OK, what comes after that?’ ‘Tomorrow!’

So that becoming someone’s teacher does not mean you have to become an accomplished scholar; you just have to care enough to share, and those who do, know how much they accomplish. The Alter Rebbe writes in his introduction to Tanya, his famous introduction to Tanya, ... Those who can teach, don’t hold back your teaching, because those who, G-d forbid, refuse to teach to someone else, when they’re able to, they are really doing something that’s not good, they’re messing ... I don’t even want to go on and say what the Alter Rebbe says. So that every one of us has an obligation and an opportunity to teach anyone and everyone we encounter, and that is the greatest privilege that we have, and it’s an opportunity that repeats itself every day and every hour and every moment.”

Extract from the Tanya referred to:

‘And to those scholars, I urge you to be forthcoming with advice, do not to place “a hand upon your mouth” (Proverbs 30: 32), to, G-d forbid, act with false humility and modesty, claiming that you do not know the answer when, in fact, you do. The bitter punishment for “one who withholds (spiritual) sustenance” (ibid. 11: 26), is well known (from Talmud, Sanhedrin 91b), and, conversely, the great reward, for sharing Torah wisdom is also well known, from our Sages’ teaching (Talmud, Temurah 16a) on the verse (Proverbs 29: 13), that when one who is poor in wisdom is enlightened by one rich in wisdom, it is mutually beneficial, and “G-d gives light to the eyes of both of them.” For when the scholar will assist a reader in understanding this book, “G-d will shine His face upon (both of) you” (see Numbers 6: 25), “the light of the King’s face, which is life” (Proverbs 16: 15).’

Miller, Chaim. The Practical Tanya—Part One—The Book for Inbetweeners Kol Menachem.

Glossary:

Alef, bet, gimel, and dalet are the first four letters of the Hebrew alphabet.

Alter Rebbe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shneur_Zalman_of_Liadi

Talmud: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talmud

Tanya: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanya

Torah: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torah

Yeshiva: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeshiva