An Al-Anon exercise for getting back on track

Step One says I'm powerless over alcohol & my life has become unmanageable.

That means I'm powerless over alcoholism.

That means I cannot manage it.

By extension:

If I do not accept the things I cannot (and should not) change, I will be angry and/or controlling*, amongst other things. That's a failure to recognise powerlessness. It's also unmanageable.

If I do not change the things I can and should, I will be guilty and/or neglectful*, amongst other things. That's a failure to exercise or access power. It's also unmanageable.

If I do not discern which is which, I will be confused and/or paralysed*. That a failure to exercise or access power. It's also unmanageable.

Exercise:

Where I am angry and/or controlling about the things I cannot (and should not) change?
Where am I guilty and/or neglectful about the things I can (and should) change?
Where am I confused and/or paralysed about which is which?

Do I recognise my powerlessness?
Do I recognise my unmanageability?

*Substitute other negative emotions and unhelpful (non-)behaviour as appropriate.




.