CONCEPT IV (SPIRITUAL IDEAS)


Short form: At all responsible levels, we ought to maintain a traditional “Right of Participation,” allowing a voting representation in reasonable proportion to the responsibility that each must discharge.

  • The ability to participate in life flows from my sobriety, which is a gift from God.
  • I am equal to others: neither superior nor inferior.
  • In relation to others: I am a trusted servant, not an order-taker; I am a truster, not an order-giver.
  • In relation to God:
    • Others could have been sent but have not.
    • Angels with no choice could have been sent, but a human with choice has been sent: me.
    • God cannot act without me.
    • God needs me.
    • God relies on me.
  • Participation requires fitness, and that is achieved through the Steps, which fit me to be of maximum service.
  • Potential for participation outstrips capacity: choice must therefore be exercised.
  • When capacity seems to outstrip potential (i.e. I am idle), I've either missed something or I need to fit myself for participation (page 77 of the Big Book).
  • Blocks to my participation:
    • A false sense of inadequacy.
    • Fear of failure.
    • Fear of exposure.
    • Fear of uncertainty.
    • Laziness.
  • Solutions:
    • Recognising God needs me.
    • Detachment: my responsibility is the action; God's responsibility is the outcome.
    • Trust: that others generally wish me well, and those that do not are in error.
    • Flexibility: not knowing the outcome is OK.
    • Effort: you have to take action to activate your faith: God ain't gonna slide no hot dog under your door.
  • Successfully passing through, overcoming, or transcending difficulties reduces fear and increases faith.
  • Act out of faith, which is the spirit of fearlessness (even when fear is still present).
  • Faith is a practice available to anyone, accessed by prayer followed by resolute action.
  • In AA: participation is a right, so participate: all members have an equal right to do so.
  • If I can't lose, I can't play: to participate, I must risk material-plane 'failure'.
  • To succeed in AA means to try: the material-plane endeavour may fail, but the endeavour-er thereby succeeds.
  • The more ambitious the plan, the greater than risk of material-plane 'failure': steer a course between playing it safe and punching too far above your weight.
  • Participation requires risk-taking: the alternative is withdrawal and death.
  • When I withdraw, I am likely to project that outwards and believe I am being rejected.
  • Life consists in participation: withdrawal perpetuates the illusion of separation.
  • To participate fully, my other addictions and compulsions must be eliminated, as they are by nature secretive and require separation.
  • In management roles, encourage others to participate maximally in line with their capability.
  • Ditto in sponsorship: to do for a sponsee what the sponsee can do for himself or herself is to deny that individual the right of participation.
  • In work: if out of work, pray for God's will, then take practical action to assess skills and experience and find a path that will utilise and develop those.
  • In any area of life in which I am not participating fully, I proactively ask how I can be of service; I do not wait to be asked.
  • With newcomers and strangers, I put my hand out first.
  • God respects my freedom of choice to participate or not participate: I must respect others' freedom of choice to participate or not participate, without goading or chiding.
  • Regarding others' right of participation:
    • Let others make their own mistakes and learn from them.
    • Do not view others' participation as diminishing my participation: participation is not 'zero-sum' but additive.
    • Help others participate rather than doing their jobs for them or dictating how they do them.
    • View others as equals instead of robots, slaves, children, wards, or bystanders.
  • When periodically reviewing myself:
    • Am I rising to challenges?
    • Am I making the most of opportunities?
    • Am I making the most of my potential?
    • Am I acting fearlessly or fearfully (remembering that I can act fearlessly even when frightened)?
  • The defects preventing me from practising Concept IV fully:
    • Fear.
    • Laziness.
    • False sense of my own inadequacy.
    • False sense of others' inadequacy.
    • Rescuer-seeking / rescuing.
    • Caretaker-seeking / caretaking.
    • Subservience / domination.
    • Avoiding my own responsibilities / assuming others responsibilities.

Inventory:
Looking at the above ideas:
Where am I currently falling down?
What can I do differently?