TRADITION VII (SPIRITUAL IDEAS)


'Every AA group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.'

  • Am I spiritually responsible for myself, or am I sober on the sobriety of others?
  • Do I use meetings as a substitute for having my own programme?
  • Do I go to meetings because I feel great thanks to working the programme and want to extend?
  • Or do I go to meetings because I feel bad thanks to not working the programme and want to receive?
  • Does my wholeness come from being an extension of God and extending out to others?
  • Or do I seek it from false idols?
  • Do I put God first or others first?
  • Do I compromise being true to God by doing others' differing will?
  • When I am off-beam, do I take responsibility by going to God and using the tools that have been provided to me?
  • Or do I just call others in the hope they'll think it through for me and fix it?
  • Am I fully self-supporting financially, covering my expenses and providing for the future?
  • Do I have sufficient working capital to manage short-term financial ups and downs?
  • Do I have a prudent reserve of one year's operating expenses as a buffer against major problems?
  • Do I prioritise earning or keeping money beyond that point, for pleasure, power, property, or prestige?
  • Is money a false God to me? Do my emotions and actions depend on my financial circumstances?
  • Is another person a false God to me? Do my emotions and actions depend on my relationship to another person?
  • Is sex, food, my body, or romance a false God to me? Do my emotions and actions depend on sex, food, my body, or romance?
  • Is there any other false God? Is there anything else I seek wholeness from?
  • Am I stopping anyone else from being self-supporting through their own contributions?
  • Am I helping anyone else be self-supporting through their own contributions?
  • Am I rescuing people from the consequences of their own actions?

  • My money belongs to God: it is a resource for doing God's will.
  • The world does not owe me anything.
  • I do owe the world my service as a way of saying thank you for my sobriety.

Inventory:
Looking at the above ideas:
Where am I currently falling down?
What can I do differently?