TRADITION VI (SPIRITUAL IDEAS)


'An AA group ought never endorse, finance, or lend the AA name to any related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property, and prestige divert us from our primary purpose.'

  • Pleasure includes sex, food, comfort, excitement, and entertainment.
  • Power includes security and control.
  • Prestige includes position, reputation, and self-esteem.
  • Property includes things and money.
  • Do problems of pleasure, power, prestige, and property (the four Ps) divert me from my primary purpose?
  • My primary purpose is carrying the message to other people.
  • The responsibility for the four Ps must be surrendered to God as the ultimate authority.
  • He then delegates authority back to me to perform tasks in these areas.
  • This leaves me time and energy to concentrate on my primary purpose.
  • My primary purpose comprises the focus of my thinking and the focus of my activities.
  • Carrying the message has two elements: carrying the AA message overtly; and carrying it covertly by treating every action solely as the service of God.
  • In both elements: my role is to seeks God's direction and strength then to do my absolute best, focusing solely on the task at hand as God's servant.
  • Worry is playing God: concern with outcomes falls within the scope of ultimate authority.
  • If I let God take care of me, I become God's primary purpose.
  • Service in spirit and action is the antidote to worry.
  • All defects come from the pursuit of the four Ps.
  • To implement Step Six in Step Seven, I surrender ultimate authority for these in Tradition VI to God.
  • My identity is that of a child of God.
  • My self-worth is then infinite and stable.
  • My valuation of others is then infinite and stable.
  • When the four Ps become the source of my identity, my self-worth is limited and unstable.
  • When the four Ps become my primary purpose, I am in competition with you for a scarce resource, and your identity becomes that of commodity, competitor, or obstacle.
  • For me to have true relationships with others, I must surrender ultimate authority for the four Ps.
  • The four Ps are rapacious creditors, demanding perfection that can never be attained.
  • The result of pursing them is fear, frustration, disappointment, and despair.
  • I exchange the perfectionism of the four Ps for the idealism of serving God.
  • I raise my eyes to perfection and am willing to walk towards it.
  • My service of God can always be perfect because whatever I am capable of on a given day is always perfectly enough.
  • My service of God is always for fun and for free, expecting nothing in return.
  • What I do get in return, however, is fun and freedom from care, boredom, and worry.
  • External rewards may come, but they may also go: they are not the real rewards.
  • External rewards are not a sign that I am doing God's will.
  • Doing God's will necessitates acting right, and acting right can but will not necessarily improve earthly results.
  • The heavenly promises are always guaranteed.
  • Heaven is stable and real.
  • The earth is a shifting shadow, because it is not real.
  • My reliance must be on heaven, which is real, not on earth, which is not.
  • But my actions must be on earth, because my earthly life is the classroom where I learn from God and the domain where God can work through me.
  • What I learn here is real.
  • What God does here is real.
  • The ego as guide always has me pursue the four Ps.
  • If I have care, boredom, and worry, the decision-maker within me must have chosen the ego as my guide.
  • If I have care, boredom, and worry, I decide I do not like the results of what I have decided.
  • That means I must have decided wrong.
  • So I unwind my decision and go back to the beginning: will I choose the ego or God?
  • If I have an emotional difficulty, I must find a way to carry the message.
  • That transports me to a new place: from that new place, everything looks different.
  • All of my problems have been solved by applying the Steps, Traditions, and Concepts: the AA programme.
  • Part of Tradition VI involves adopting the AA programme at the core of my solution.
  • Religion, psychotherapy, and other practices have played different roles at different times but always secondarily to my one solution.
  • My one solution is my one solution because my one problem is the tiny, mad idea that I am separate from God.
  • The ego is the tiny, mad idea.
  • To be separate from God is to deny God's oneness and therefore existence, as God's oneness is the nature of God's existence.
  • Once I believe I am separate, I take the ego as my guide.
  • The belief in separation produces a feeling of wrongness in me ('sin'), guilt (for 'betraying God'), and fear (of retribution).
  • I deny and bury this, then project this out, and see wrongness, guilt, and retribution outside of me.
  • The separation never happened: the tiny, mad idea arose and disappeared.
  • But when it arose it denied God, and I believed it.
  • The solution is therefore to deny the denial.
  • I do that by looking the insanity of the ego's thought system in the face and saying: this need not be.
  • I look at the insanity by looking at the failure of the ego's plan for my salvation: the four Ps.
  • I then say: there must be a better way.
  • I then say: what can I lose by asking?
  • I then ask.
  • The four Ps never work, but the one solution always does.
  • If I place something before my recovery and the service of God that flows from that recovery, I become a dry drunk.
  • If I stay a dry drunk long enough I will start to act out and sooner or later become a wet drunk.
  • A dry drunk is someone who blames others, God, or their earthly self for their perceived woes.
  • Instead I am to be a sober alcoholic: my alcoholism is a blessing because it is the way God found a way to reach me.
  • I am called to be about God's business, not the business of the world.

Inventory:
Looking at the above ideas:
Where am I currently falling down?
What can I do differently?