CONCEPT X (SPIRITUAL IDEAS)


Short form: Every service responsibility should be matched by an equal service authority, with the scope of such authority well defined.
  • Whenever service authority and responsibility are delegated, there should be clarity about:
    • The content of duties.
    • Deliverables.
    • Schedules, timelines, deadlines, and time expenditure.
    • Resource allocation.
    • Scope of decision-making authority.
    • Stakeholders for the purposes of consultation.
    • Elder statesmen for the provision of technical and spiritual assistance.
    • Record-keeping.
    • Reporting systems.
  • To do service (to discharge responsibility). I must say 'yes' (accept delegated authority).
    • I am not suitable and ready for every service offered.
    • My habit should be to say 'yes' unless there is a good reason to say 'no', not the other way round.
    • I seek God's direction and strength when deciding whether to say 'yes'.
    • If I say 'no' too often, I will not grow.
    • If I do not grow, I will return to drinking.
    • I trust God to enable me to incorporate new opportunities for service into my schedule.
    • This may involve reorganisation or abandonment of other activities.
  • The first principle of Concept X is responsibility: discharging our duties well (in the exercise of Concept VI: chief initiative and active responsibility).
    • Do all the work required.
    • Do it to the best of my ability.
    • Do it promptly.
    • But rush nothing: 'easy does it'.
    • See the term of service through.
    • Ask for help where necessary (Concept III).
    • Consult where necessary (Concept III).
      • This involves practising:
        • The democratic principle (Concept XII).
        • Letting others express their views and thereby participate (Concept IV).
        • Allowing room for right of appeal and right of petition (Concept V).
    • Seek God's direction and strength throughout.
  • This ensures that responsibility comes up to the level of authority vested in me.
  • The second principle of Concept X is having boundaries: not acting beyond the scope of the authority vested in me.
  • This ensures that responsibility does not go beyond the level of the authority vested in me.
  • When delegating authority and responsibility to others:
    • Respect their exercise of Concept III.
    • Exercise traditional power, the power of the purse, and custodial oversight (Concepts VII and VIII) only sparingly.
  • When authority and responsibility are delegated to others:
    • Respect the structure.
      • Do not circumvent it.
      • Do not undermine it.
    • Invoke Concept V sparingly.
    • Help them discharge their responsibility.
  • Resort to the ultimate authority when direction or resource to discharge delegate responsibility is lacking.
  • In partnerships with one or more people:
    • Assign roles.
    • Determine who has 'senior' authority and responsibility.
    • Others then have 'junior' authority and responsibility.
    • Then implement the other principles set out above accordingly.
Inventory:
Looking at the above ideas:
Where am I currently falling down?
What can I do differently?