Depression and anxiety


The following is intended to share some experience, in case it helps others. It does not represent criticism of how anyone else lives, works the programme, or doesn’t work the programme. It merely sets out what I was like, what happened, and what I am like now. If you identify, great! If you don’t, that’s OK too. If it helps, great! If it doesn’t, that’s OK, too. If your path has been the same, great! If your path has been different, that's OK, too. I’m not here to debate or argue, just to present and offer. In any case, I wish you well on your journey.

I've been sober since 24 July 1993. I've experienced bouts of sometimes very serious depression and anxiety since I've been sober. There are many people who are totally fine with selecting just some elements of the AA programme. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I have needed the whole package deal to resolve the issues underlying the depression and anxiety and find a way to thrive. I have found the spiritual means to be 100% effective over the last 26 years. I have found no problem associated with my state of mind, my emotions, my thinking, or my being that has not yielded entirely to persistent application of the principles contained in the Steps, the Traditions, and the Concepts.

What has that involved?

Firstly, I have had to work and rework the Twelve Steps. Through trial and error, I eventually found that following the Steps exactly as they're set out in the book Alcoholics Anonymous, under the guidance of people who have been doing the same for decades, proved the most transformative approach. Not just once, but whenever a serious problem arises.

How does this differ than other approaches I tried? There are several elements I previously missed. (1) Entire forgiveness of everyone for everything, which ultimately means replacing all judgement with identification. (2) Tireless and painstaking efforts to resolve tensions in all relationships, past and present, through the amends and reconstruction process, with zero criticism of others. (3) Centring my life on staying close to and serving Spirit. Prayer and meditation are the constant state of being I seek to reside in. They're not a USB plugin device; they're the motherboard.

Secondly, I need to serve. If I don't serve Spirit by serving others, I end up serving self, which invariably results in fear, frustration, disappointment, and despair. Conversely, whenever I have found myself beset by fear, frustration, disappointment, and despair, I invariably discover self, in one form or another, at the core of the problem. I seek to serve within AA and without. This means sponsoring a lot of people, for many hours each week, service at home groups, and service throughout the AA service structure.

Thirdly, I need the fellowship around me not just of people who are members of AA but people who are fully active in all three legacies of unity, service, and recovery. Only by surrounding myself with people who are seeking to be rid of self and want only to serve Spirit, as a channel for that Spirit to transform others' lives, have I found the promises associated with all of the Steps of AA to come true consistently.

The spiritual way of life outlined in the book Alcoholics Anonymous is the core. I supplement that (without replacing it with) A Course In Miracles, plus numerous other writings.

But all of this was based on a single, simple insight: when I am unhappy, I recognise that I have created that unhappiness through my interpretation of and reaction to life. For change to happen, I have to admit that my beliefs, thinking, and behaviour are not working and need to change. In short, I have needed to admit defeat and say, 'I don't know'. Whilst I still knew, I could not change. You cannot pour anything into a full cup.

What has the result been? A life of usefulness and contentedness, with wide and abiding connections with others, with the world, and with Spirit.

The above is a very short version of a very long story. If you would like to know more, or would like help adopting the same approach, feel free to contact me.