Calling a sponsor with a problem

This is how I call a sponsor with a problem.

(1) Get the story straight. Facts. Short on the analysis. Keep it chronological. Keep it simple. Keep it brief. Put myself in the shoes of someone who is not inside my head and not inside the situation and ask myself whether the story would make sense to them. Anticipate questions and answer them. Avoid personal pronouns ('he', 'she') as the story can quickly become ambiguous.

(2) I work out whether my problem is emotional or practical.

(3) If my problem is emotional, I use the Step Four tools (resentment inventory) to identify the causes and conditions (the demands that the world is not meeting) and where I'm wrong in belief/attitude, thinking, and behaviour. I then apply the tools of pages 67 and 68 to neutralise the resentment and underlying fear.

(4) If my problem is practical, I discern the various courses of action and the pros and cons of each, coming up with a provisional view on the best.

(5) I work out my question, e.g. 'The demand is that the world be fair, but it is not. How do I drop the demand?' or 'If I act in this situation, person (a) may be harmed, but if I don't act, person (b) may be harmed. Which takes priority?' or 'I have come up with some corrective measures in this situation. Can I share them with you to see if I've missed something?'

Then I call.