TRADITION I (SPIRITUAL IDEAS)


'Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon AA unity'
  • I am powerless over alcohol and have an unmanageable life, so I must unite myself with AA for my personal recovery.
  • The Step states the problem, and the Tradition states the solution. What do I do about my powerlessness and unmanageability? I join AA and place our common welfare first, since my personal recovery depends upon doing this.
  • My continued life depends upon my obedience to spiritual principles. Obedience is now the safety net of my sobriety. I used to pride myself on being a rebelnow I seek to be obedient. After obedience comes enthusiasm: the desire to do God’s will because of the benefits I receive. The most difficult jobs are effortless when motivated by enthusiasm. When all else fails, I am back to obedience. No matter what, I won’t take that first drink, and, no matter what, I will work Steps Ten, Eleven, and Twelve on a daily basis.
  • I cannot recover unless there is a group. I must place our common welfare first for the group to continue.

Inventory:
Looking at the above ideas:
Where am I currently falling down?
What can I do differently?