My Al-Anon characters


When I take inappropriate responsibility for you:

Bulldozer: imposes plans by force
Controller: overtly directs others
Saviour: tries to rescue, fix, or change others
Prime Mover: believes oneself to be the chief cause of others’ (re)actions
Martyr: does everything because ‘if I don’t, who will?’
Mother: does things for others they can do for themselves
String-puller: engages in covert manipulation
Button-pusher: exploits others people’s weaknesses to own ends
Florence Nightingale: nurses symptoms but ignores the cause
Annie Wilkes (from Misery): weakens others to create dependence

When I make you inappropriately responsible for me:

Blame-thrower: blames others for their own outcomes
Damsel in Distress: seeks a rescuer 
Penelope Pitstop: constructs situations where rescue is needed

When I deny my responsibility for me:

Sloven: lets one's own life go to wrack and ruin
Snow White: refuses to admit flaws

When I deny your responsibility for you:

Apologist: explains away others’ bad behaviour ('he's not drunk; he's tired')
Doormat: tolerates unacceptable behaviour