How to carry the message to newcomers

There are > 900 groups in London.

The AA programme is contained in the Big Book.

How many AA groups in London focus on the Big Book or the Steps? Sadly, few. The Intergroup I live in has 12 groups today, 2 focus on the Steps, and none on the Big Book. That means that the other ten groups believe that the solution to their problem is found elsewhere than in the Big Book or the Steps.

Unfortunately, even in Step- or Big Book-focused groups, not all the sharing (by a long chalk) will concern the Big Book or a Step. I recently visited two Step groups recently where almost no one (apart from the speaker) even mentioned the Step.

This means that the majority of attendees at AA will go through their AA experience not actually being exposed to what the solution to alcoholism is with any depth or detail.

A second problem: newcomers and visitors are very often ignored at meetings. If a person is not known, it is not uncommon for that person to be avoided entirely, whilst attendees talk to their friends.

To give alcoholics who want a solution a fair chance, I practise the following:

I look out for people I don't know and go and talk to them.
  • I find out about them and where they are in their journeys.
  • I introduce them to others.
  • I tell them about other meetings.
  • I try to convey hope.
  • I offer my number and/or to meet at other meetings.
When sharing:
  • I convey information through my experience of how I know I'm an alcoholic in such a way that someone with a different story but the same key underlying features of alcoholism can identify.
  • I convey what I did about it (some combination of Steps, fellowship, and service).
  • I convey something of the results.
I do not complain or present current unprocessed material. Too much of AA sharing follows the format of 'Here's how I'm currently dysfunctional: ha ha ha. [Room: ha ha ha]', and I don't need to add to that. There's a place for identification with others' problems, but a more important service is rendered by offering people a way out.

Most importantly, I give this away and encourage people I sponsor to do these things. If enough people do these things, the message can be conveyed more effectively to more people.