Tradition One

The Steps start with 'we'; the Traditions start with 'our'. I don't have a life of my own. That was always my problem: I thought I could do what I wanted with my life because it was mine. I was wrong. It turned out that was my whole problem. I never saw myself as part of a 'we' or having an 'our'. There was my individual welfare; there was no common welfare. The purpose of the Steps was to connect me to the 'our' so that I am never alone. I had to forgive everyone for everything; I had to make amends for all harm I had done; I had to place myself unreservedly under the care and direction of God, 24 hours a day, asking only to fill the day with activities on His behalf, not on mine, and for the benefit of those around me. I don't need to worry about my welfare: my concern is our welfare, and in looking after our welfare, my welfare gets taken care of automatically because I am part of the 'our'. My personal recovery depends on my unity with AA. I cannot permit any judgement or condemnation of others. I might choose a different path within AA, but that involves discernment of God's will for me, not judgement of others as wrong. When I have to be part of a decision in AA, I don't ask, 'what do I want?'; I ask 'what is for the good of all?' A number of years ago, my sponsor suggested I ask that question at all times and in all situations: 'what is for the good of all?' As part of this, I am encouraged to think of the needs of others at a personal, individual level, too. In looking after all the individuals, we are looking after the whole. In looking after the whole, we are looking after all of the individuals. The two notions are indivisible, like the sun and its rays, and provided that I recognise the place of all people in the great whole, there is never any conflict between common and individual welfare. Today I am a small part of a great whole, and whether I cease to exist in this form today or many decades in the future, I do not care any more, because the great whole will go on. I feel permanently safe as part of this great whole, and with my firm base in God through AA I can go anywhere and do anything. The fellowship of AA always goes with me wherever I go.