Don't be woke: be awakened

It's no good having a set of ideals but then insisting that the rest of the world adopt them now, or else ... and self-righteously policing them, under the motto 'to the man with only a hammer, everything looks like a nail'.

I prefer to aim for being awakened: have a set of ideals, and work towards them myself, using attraction rather than promotion to encourage adoption thereof.

I aim to develop the virtues of compassion, patience, tolerance, and understanding with those who hold different views, and I am to seek change in the world not through criticism, judgement, combat, derision, ostracism, exclusion, condemnation, and dismissal but through respectful dialogue and constructive action.

To me, this is the embodiment of the quotation below. I'm a junior partner in the deal with God, to be a builder not a crusader.