Narratives

I used to be very unhappy. I was unhappy because of the many stories I told myself about my life. Although they were largely true factually, they did not portray the reality. I was suffering not because of my life but because of the distorted stories.

A TV listing in 1998 described the plot of 'The Wizard of Oz' thus: 'Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets and then teams up with three strangers to kill again.'

The description is technically accurate but is a comically gross mis-portrayal of the film. My stories about my life were also technically accurate but a then tragically (and now comically) gross mis-portrayal of my life.

I was the great perpetrator of the evil in my life: other people had merely provided me with the material for me to write my horror movie script. I've learned in recovery to retell the story. My past, being the current perception of what happened, has literally changed.

To quote another resource: 'This course can therefore be summed up very simply in this way: "Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists." Herein lies the peace of God.'