'So we shall describe some of the mental states that precede a relapse into drinking, for obviously this is the crux of the problem.'
The states are:
- A peculiar mental twist (page 33, cf. Jim, falsely believing that milk combined with whiskey renders the whiskey safe)
- A strange mental blank spot (page 42, cf. Fred, truthfully anticipating that two cocktails with dinner would be nice but failing to anticipate further consequences)
- Beginning to drink deliberately not casually (page 37)
- Little serious or effective thought (page 37)
- Not thinking at all (page 24)
- Two trains of thought running in parallel (page 37)