Here's a simple triaging algorithm for one's own and others' upset:
The programme divides into Steps One to Nine (dealing with 'the big picture' of one's life) and Steps Ten to Twelve (dealing with the content of the day).
Make sure that
- If one is not in a Steps One to Nine process, but needs to be, one engages in the process;
- If one is in the process, one sets aside an hour or so today to progress the process;
- One is doing everything on pages 84 to 88 to implement Step Three today.
- Is it ego rubbish (money, sex, power, prestige, comfort, thrill, appearance)?
- Drop it. It's a load of crap. Reread pages 60 to 62. The ego's desires are fool's gold, bringing minimal benefits but maximal frustration, fear, disappointment and despair.
- If it's not ego crap:
- Can I do something about it?
- Yes: do something about it
- No: give the matter to God and adopt the position of being brave, cheerful, hopeful, and resilient.
- If it's a resentment: pray the prayer on page 67.
- If it's a fear: follow the instructions on page 68.
- If it's bad behaviour on my part: follow the instructions on page 69.