Membership of AA vs visiting AA

Since I first attended AA, I have operated in one of two modes: being a member of AA and visiting AA. Today, I prefer the results of the former mode and so operate therein.

Visiting AA


I am the centre of my life. This makes sense because wherever my physical eyes look, the world appears to be around me, with me at the centre, which is where I reside. In my life, I have a number of objectives. These fall into the approximate categories of looking after myself, securing my future, managing my finances, having a job or career, establishing and maintaining relationships, getting kicks, achieving position and some power in the world, making progress generally so that my life has direction and purpose, getting enough and the right kind of sex, looking smart and attractive, etc. The list seems to expand infinitely. The various domains are in constant competition for my attention, energy, and resources.

Within the context of this, I have a drinking problem. I drink far too much and can’t kick the habit on my own. So I go to AA a couple of times a week. Sometimes I share. Sometimes I don’t. I help a couple of people. I do odd bits of service here and there. I learn spiritual tips from people, which are great at keeping my life in balance, since the steps helped me to reconcile myself to my past and rebuild my relationships when I first got sober.

Summary:

AA is great, but it needs to be balanced with other things, because I don’t want to exchange one addiction for another, and it absolutely serves its purpose: helping me to live more happily and effectively. Sure, there are lots of emotional quirks and low spots, but I’ll always be an alcoholic and I’ll always be human, so that’s to be expected. I’d love to do more, but I have a very full life, thanks to AA.

Being a member of AA


Being an alcoholic, there is a fundamental flaw in my mind: there is a pocket, still intact, where a drink seems like a good idea, despite the experience to the contrary. To never drink again I need an ongoing and permanently expanding spiritual experience. In principle this could be achieved outside AA, but a spiritual experience involves practical implementation of spiritual ideas in my relations with others, and the demand for my contribution and site of maximum effectiveness lie inside AA. I decide to join and make my relationship with God, expressed through AA, the centre of my life.

I treat AA as my spiritual home, and my home groups as the locus of that spiritual home.

My weekly schedule starts with the insertion into my calendar of my AA home group meetings and my other service commitments. These are also scheduled indefinitely into the future, to minimise the risk of other opportunities interfering. I attend diligently, and my schedule works around these fixed points.

I make strong relationships with many people at my home groups, and have daily contact with several people in which we share experience of clearing the manifestations of self in order to serve God and then our experience of serving God.

I do service at my home groups, and in a number of posts within the AA service structure, at different levels.

I sponsor, which involves a lot of daily contact with a number of people.

This is all pivoted around the axis: a relationship with God in which I ask: What would You have me do today?

I do not treat my life, my resources, my energies, my money, my body, my possessions, or my purpose as my own. This sounds radical, but it’s in the wording itself of Step Three, the decision to turn my will and my life over to God, not in the small print.

I also have other relationships with friends and family, what the world would call ‘a career’, what the world would call ‘my possessions’, ‘my money’, etc. In fact, these areas are all proceeding swimmingly. They are not more important or less important than the AA activities. There is no ranking, hierarchy, or order of priority, so there is no ‘balancing’ necessary.

There is only one question: What would God have me do today? I then implement the answer, and what flowers from that is a life that is both useful and enjoyable, both in and out of AA.