Going to any lengths

In AA, we're asked to go to any lengths.

Why would I do that?

Because I cannot win in single-handed combat against (a) my alcoholism (b) my ego.

I do not like the effects of living with active alcoholism.

I do not like the effects of living with an active ego.

To win, I must surrender.

To surrender, I must drop my own ideas entirely and adopt a new set of ideas entirely.

(Footnote: any of my own ideas that are true and helpful will be returned to me in the new set of ideas, so I needn't fear relinquishing anything of value).

Once I adopt a new set of ideas, all of my thinking and all of my behaviour should be in accordance with this new set of ideas if (a) I am to be successful in the new life and (b) I am to be conflict-free in the process.

Surrender brings about relaxation.

Any state other than complete relaxation suggests incomplete surrender.

What this means in practice is that I surrender to the collective good sense of those who to my mind set a good example, for ideas and the consequential thinking and behaviour.

Instant and complete surrender does not exist, but progress can be made towards it.

I can fail only if, when conflicted between old ideas and new ideas (or old/new thinking/behaviour), I side with the old ideas, thinking and behaviour.

The only question is therefore this: which set of ideas will I side with?