Have you tried Step Seven?

Once I thought the programme wasn't working because I felt really bad a lot. Feeling bad a lot was flowing from doing bad things and thinking bad things. You know they're bad things to do and think because they make you feel bad. Turns out, the problem wasn't God or the programme. It was me.

Step Seven suggests we ask God to remove every single defect of character that stands in the way of our usefulness. That means, whenever I think a bad thought or think of translating that bad thought into bad action, I must ask God to remove the bad thought and give me the strength to not do the bad thing. The best way to do that is to think a good thought and do a good thing.

Turns out, if you apply Step Seven constantly, it works. I had been expecting the results of Step Seven, namely the removal of defects, by taking it once but then not actually asking God to remove a defect every time it came up. That's silly. It's like going to the supermarket once for food, then being surprised when the fridge doesn't keep filling up with food on a daily basis. Then again, I'm often silly. That's not a problem unless one thinks oneself clever. This is why humility is necessary.