Do I need to revisit the Steps?

Over the last 22 years, I have revisited the first nine Steps a number of times. On occasion, it has been because the rivets were popping, and I was aware of serious disturbance or bad behaviour that seemed impervious to even a concerted attempt to apply Steps Ten through Twelve.

On occasion, I have revisited the first nine Steps, as a formal exercise, simply because it had been a year since I had done so previously, without recognising an obvious need.

I have also suggested to many sponsees over the years, sponsees who had been diligent in working Steps Ten through Twelve, that they revisit the first nine Steps. Again, on occasion they immediately recognised the need; on occasion, they did not.

Invariably, revisiting the first nine Steps draws out of the woodwork reservations and faulty attitudes, thinking, and behaviour that were either invisible even on thorough application of Steps Ten through Twelve or were refractory to these three Steps.

The conclusion? My judgement as to whether or not I need to revisit Steps One through Nine does not correlate with actual need. If I think I need to revisit them, I certainly do. If I think I don't (and it has been a while since I have), I still do.

Why would this be the case?

We don't know what we don't know; the point about God is we get led into realms we did not dream existed.