Step Six willingness questions: 2. Am I willing, without reservation, to jettison every idea, emotion, and attitude that my Steps Four and Five have shown to be the cause of my ruin, both drunk and sober?

Willingness is different from wanting to. I’m willing to go to the meeting this evening. I don’t want to, however, particularly. Actually, I actively want NOT to. But I am willing to go.

Willingness is about the recognition that there MIGHT be another world available, one behind the clouds, and that, if there are actions to get me there, I will take them, reluctant as I am, oddly, to leave behind this world, being the only world I know, and my ideas being, at times, the only self I know. Who would I be without them?

There comes a point where you realise the fabric of your mind is a set of coded illusions … Even the discernment of what is true and false may itself be one of the illusions.

I look at the IDEAS contained in my mind, and I am willing to concede that I cannot trust, implicitly, the thoughts that cross my mind like the images on a wall of television screens. I am willing to turn away and ask to be shown something different.