“grab for more of everything than we need, fearing we shall never have enough” (Page 49, Big Book)
You see, there’s the ‘big life’ deception writ large.
I don’t think, although I may be wrong, that God’s will for me is to pack my life so full of things and have it look so materially extensive and impressive with Items of Magnitude there’s no room to breathe, no room for me, and no room, even, for God. When I’m filling my life, I’m not making it bigger, because my life is the same size. I’m just making it fuller.
The direction is increasingly to discard, not to add. “Not this. Not that. Certainly not that.”
This is not to make way for something. The hoarder taking clothes to the recycling is doing no one any favours if he is fantasising about a shopping trip as he is doing so.
The job of discarding is more to be left with almost literally nothing. Maybe just one or two things left. What’s necessary and no more.
What’s necessary then occupies part of the space.
But still with a gap left over.
The life is in the gap, not in the things.