... offered myself to God

“There I humbly offered myself to God, as I then understood Him, to do with me as He would. I placed myself unreservedly under His care and direction. I admitted for the first time that of myself I was nothing; that without Him I was lost.” (Chapter 1, Big Book)

Here’s how I do it:

  • Throw myself at God’s mercy each morning, on my knees
  • Commit each day to seeking and doing God’s will only
  • Each day, formally renounce vanity- and fear-driven goals
  • Throw the future into God’s hands so I am 100% free in the action of the moment
  • Recognise God as the power I remain in at all times
  • Plan each day with God, then invoke God’s strength to stick to the plan
  • Schedule the week, month, and year so everything is taken care of
  • Proceed with each task maximally diligently, treating each as for God
  • Take anything I develop worry or anger about and give it promptly to God
  • Visualise and know that God is looking after these matters at all times
  • Ask God what action, if any, I must take, schedule, act, then drop
  • Visualise a big ‘no trespassing sign’ over these matters: these are not my problem
  • When upset, unsure, or prone to impulsiveness: pause, ask, act per God’s will
  • When generally agitated, withdraw to rest in the refuge of God
  • Return to the central refuge of God each night when retiring