Pop!

 For God to work through me, I have to be doing something.

That means I have to get over myself.

Stop thinking about myself.

Stop talking about myself.

And instead, make myself, literally, useful.

God can work with that.

God has never made me feel better.

God has given me things to do.

I have done those things.

And then I felt better.

The first big Step Four must necessarily be on internal stuff.

After that, we now know what the solution to resentment is: love people.

... we know what the solution to fear is: recognise one's ultimate safety in God, adult up, and get active.

Further inventories are necessary to keep an eye on conduct and emotional excesses, but the latter focus on their fact, not their content, as the content is irrelevant.

Real recovery, for me, is putting away the wailing and the gnashing of teeth as the childish things of the playroom, the nursery, the barricaded sit-in, the insane asylum, the mob, the slanging-match-on-the-Tube-platform, the sulk, the mope, the weeping at Mahler and Plath, the twitter spat, the hacking, the vomiting, the wandering lonely as a rainy little cold front, ...

... and instead entering the real world, saying to God:

What can I constructively do today?

When I take that attitude, the Holy Spirit does indeed manifest through me, and the fever passes.