What is detachment?

Here's my understanding of detachment with love:

I continue to have respect for the other person, as another person.

If I love the person, in a sentimental sense, I continue to hold that sentiment.

I excise from myself any condemnation, grievance, resentment, and hatred.

I continue to have compassion and understanding for the person and their situation ...

... though I do not dwell on them or their situation.

I help where help is due ...

... but do not do for them what they should do for themselves.

I do not base my happiness on what they do or do not do.

I do not place any practical reliance on what they do or do not do.

I do not expect them to change, get well, or stay well.

If behaviour crosses certain lines, I reserve the right to distance myself.

This means changing when and how I interact.

I reserve the right also to halt interaction, temporarily or permanently.

I may ask them to leave, or I may leave.

I do not direct or manipulate them to act a certain way.

I do not punish.

I do not compensate for their shortcomings.

I do not pick up the pieces when they scatter or drop them.

I do not apologise or cover for them.

I do not keep secrets for them or lie for them.

I do not offer advice not asked for.

I do not offer the same advice twice.

I do not monitor, snoop, spy, or pry.

I do not complain about them to others.

I keep the focus on myself and the conduct of my life