The logic of Step Two

I have a problem (I cannot refrain from taking the first drink).

I cannot solve the problem myself.

I know what to do (do not take the first drink).

My problem is therefore not lack of information.

My problem is I cannot do what I know to do.

My problem is therefore lack of power (= ability).

I know other people who had the same problem.

They have solved the problem (they refrain from taking the first drink).

They have acquired an ability and therefore power.

Let's call that power B.

Power B must have a source.

Let's call that Power A.

That Power is necessarily greater than they are (if it were not, they would not have had the problem).

Which is greater? Power A or me?

I cannot give others the power to stay sober.

Power A is therefore more powerful than me.

Since it is greater than the people and than me, it is a Power greater than ourselves.

Power A is therefore a Power greater than ourselves.

Could Power A solve this problem for me, too?

Everything up to now has been a matter of observation.

This question is a question of speculation, because it concerns the future.

The belief that Power A could solve this problem for me is therefore a question of faith.

It is a question of faith because it concerns a future event, and future events cannot be proven.

Questions of faith are not in opposition to reason, however.

A faith can be 100% reasonable.

What is the reasoning?

Power A has helped many other people of vastly differing characteristics.

I have no characteristics that are not found somewhere amongst such people.

I therefore have no disqualifying characteristic.

It is therefore reasonable to conclude that what has worked for them will work for me.

This leaves only the questions of condition and timing (Step Two refers to could not can: this implies the existence of a condition precedent):

Does Power A grant the ability to stay sober randomly or systematically?

Observation reveals that Power A grants the ability to stay sober systematically (when people work the Steps consistently), and under other circumstances, which need not detain us.

It is therefore reasonable to conclude that, if I work the Steps consistently, Power A will grant me, too, the ability to stay sober.

Does Power A grant this ability straight away or with some delay?

Observation reveals that Power A grants the ability to stay sober as soon as the commitment to the Steps is made (Step Three) and action is taken promptly (Step Four).

It is therefore reasonable to conclude that, if I start working the Steps, Power A will grant me, too, the ability to stay sober straight away.

On the basis of the above, I believe [and have therefore come to believe] that a Power greater than ourselves [Power A] could restore us to sanity [give others and me the ability to stay sober at all times]. 

I have now completed Step Two.

***

Footnote:

Let's now take the word God, strip out all meaning hitherto attributed to it, to the extent that that meaning is redundant, objectionable, or incompatible with the above, and reuse the now stripped-down word to denote Power A.