Devils and vacuum-cleaners

Fear is not a thing that can be removed, like a cabbage from a fridge, a bowler from a cricket team, or a stain from a shirt.

The devil knocks on the door with one or more proposed future events: maybe possible, maybe definite.

He then proposes (a) that I judge these to be negative, i.e. that I disapprove of them, and (b) that I consider them unacceptable in some way, typically because they will cause pain I consider unacceptable or might cause collapse as I will not be able to 'cope'.

Essentially, we have a forecast plus two proposed attitudes: disapproval and non-acceptance.

If I reject the forecast, game over. If accept the forecast but either approve of it or consider it neutral, game over. If I accept the forecast, judge it negatively with disapproval, but accept it fully without resistance, game over.

For there to be a sale of the goods, I must accept all three elements.

Now imagine what I have bought to be a vacuum-cleaner. The vacuum-cleaner creates a noise only if I turn it on and push it around the room.

Fear, as an experience, is turning on the vacuum-cleaner and pushing it round the room.

Does God remove the fear?

God will do for me what I cannot do for myself but God will not do for me what I can do for myself.

What can I do for myself?

  • Not answer the door when the devil calls
  • Not buy his goods, which means
    • Not accepting his forecast
    • Not accepting his proposed disapproval
    • Not accepting his proposed non-acceptance
  • If I buy the goods, dispose of them
  • Until I have disposed of them, not activate them
  • If I activate them, deactivate them
What will God do?
  • Provide me with a more rational outlook with which to regard the future
  • Provide me with a new value system that encourages neutrality in the face of material threat
  • Provide me with the direction and strength to handle material threat
  • Provide me with opportunities for activities and mental occupations in the stead of fear
The devil will always knock. But that is a far cry from the noise of the hoover.