Hope For Today, 29 March, erratum

I do like Al-Anon literature, but sometimes it is just plain wrong, and no editor realised along the way. I think it's helpful to look at where this happens and to provide some perspective.

I love the slogans, particularly the ones that come in two parts, such as “Let Go and Let God.” However, I struggle with working the second half of that one. It is easy for me to concentrate only on the first part. When the alcoholic in my life left our home, I found it simple to let go. I let go of meetings, literature, and many of my Al-Anon contacts. I also let go of my mental, physical, and spiritual health. ... I gained weight, stopped exercising, and lost interest in my home and family. I started isolating, and I sank into a depression.

... Now I know the second part of the slogan, too. “Let God” balances the first part and keeps me from proceeding with my own will. For the letting go part to work, I keep God in my life by attending meetings, reading literature, calling other members, and doing service. My Higher Power helps me when I help myself.

This gives the erroneous impression that Al-Anon, in suggesting that people Let Go, is suggesting that they leave Al-Anon and abandon basic adult practices of self-maintenance. To be clear, this is not what Al-Anon suggests. The writer of this piece in Hope For Today did, however, believe that was precisely what this meant. I was hoping that the second part of the reading might reveal that the writer realised their mistake. Far from it! There is no awareness that they had misunderstood Let Go or any indication of what it actually means; rather, they compound the error, suggesting that, once had has left Al-Anon and got fat, one then returns to Let God, thus completing the circle. Unfortunately, whoever edited and published this on behalf of Al-Anon did not realise the error.

So what does Let Go and Let God mean?

In short:

  • Cease attempting to control that which cannot be controlled
  • Cease fretting, worrying or obsessing about anything ...
  • ... especially that which cannot be controlled.
  • Ask God to guide me as to what actions to take
  • Take those actions
  • Do not fret, worry, or obsess about the outcomes
  • Trust that my spiritual wellbeing will thereby be ensured ...
  • ... regardless of the outcomes in the material world.