Tradition VII: God-reliance

Tradition VII encourages me to rely on my own resources. This means the delicate balance of receiving delegated authority and responsibility from God as my ultimate source, but then exercising that authority, responsibility, and accountability as a responsible adult.

Practically, this means:

  • Processing situations based on my own resources before seeking others' input
  • Preparing adequately before seeking others' input
  • Recalling that any assessment and decision is ultimately my own
  • ... as the responsibility for the outcome is mine
  • Asking God to do for me what I cannot do for myself
  • Doing for myself what I can and should do for myself
  • Seeing God as the 'Conference' providing me with final decisions on large matters
  • Taking chief initiative and active responsibility for my recovery and my life
  • Not relying on others for money, connections, or other material support
  • Developing and maintaining an occupation and livelihood
  • Spending less than my income
  • Donating the surplus beyond operating capital and prudent reserve
Emotionally, this means:
  • Learning to be absolutely fine when completely alone
  • Learning to handle emotions and learn from them without denial or panic
  • Taking responsibility for maintenance of my sobriety
  • Taking responsibility for ensuring I have the strongest programme of anyone I know
  • Taking responsibility for ongoing spiritual growth (what does not grow dies)
  • Not expecting, demanding, or yearning for anything from anyone
  • Not seeing another person as a source, a provider, a safety net, or a compensator
  • Accepting gratefully what God provides me through others as He sees fit
  • Relinquishing all relationships of inappropriate or unhealthy dependence