Stories

I am sceptical of my own stories.

I am doubly sceptical of anyone else's.

I have seen my own view utterly transformed by applying the Steps.

What I first saw always turned out to be only 5% of the picture, and that 5% was distorted.

This is why I like meetings where people focus on the solution ...

... and talk about problem as it now appears from the position of the solution.

The stories of those who are distressed are obviously touching ...

... and one has compassion on account of the suffering.

But they're not true.

When I recount the story of current distress, before processing ...

... I'm not doing myself any favours: I'm reinforcing the problem,

by finding people to take it on board and mirror back my distress.

Particularly damaging is the attempt to get a whole room of people on my side.

All this does is cement me further into my delusion.

Today, I've learned to let go absolutely of my narratives.